Our History

This history is compiled from information provided by eyewitnesses and from the book ‘From Trinity to Portside – 20 Years On’, published by Portside Christian College in 1997. Updated January 2019.

THE CHURCH THE COLLEGE
May
Pastor Dudley Cooper starts a ‘Revival Night’ on Thursdays at his Kilkenny home
1956 
July
The Thursday night meetings get too big for Pastor Dudley’s home, so Cheltenham Scout Hall is rented
April
Sunday services commence
1957 
June
Pastor Leo Harris ordains Pastor Dudley and 22 adults become members of the church
1958 
Pastor Barry Chant becomes the Pastor of the church1963 
A block at 73 Grand Junction Rd, Rosewater, is purchased for £4,350 and meetings initially take place in a shed, then in a converted cottage1964 
A church building is constructed on the site1967 
 Early 1970sMargaret McIntyre, a member of the church and a Government primary school teacher, is concerned by what she sees: students being taught non-Christian values and badly behaved students taking all of the teacher’s attention.  She says: ‘There must be a better way of educating our children than this!’
Pastor John Ridley becomes the Pastor of the church, which is later named Good News Christian Centre1974 
 1975Margaret McIntyre attends a conference at which she hears the Director of Youth With a Mission (YWAM) talk about establishing God-centred, biblically-based curriculum…and the vision to set up a Christian school is born
 1976The first independent Christian School in South Australia, Trinity Christian School, is established by Margaret McIntyre at the Good News Christian Centre in Rosewater, with 16 students aged 5 to 12
 1978- 1979Land adjoining the church is leased and a transportable building is placed on it to enable the school’s 40 students to have its own facilities
Peter Schubert becomes the temporary Principal of the school
 1980John Millman becomes the Principal of the school and enrolments grow steadily
Keith Walsingham becomes the pastor of the Good News Christian Centre, which combines with Lakeside Christian Centre (West Lakes CRC) and builds a church at a disused service station on Frederick Road1981After much prayer and a capital grant from the Commonwealth Schools Commission, the school purchases both the land it is leasing and the Good News Christian Centre, converting the church into school facilities, giving the school plenty of room to grow
Good News Christian Centre is renamed Hebron Christian Centre, West Lakes1982 
Rod Dunn becomes the pastor of Hebron Christian Centre1985 
Neil Milne becomes the pastor of Hebron Christian Centre1986 
 1987Linda Clinton becomes the Principal of the school
A block of land on 1 Causeway Road, Ethelton, is purchased and a church building is constructed to accommodate the growing church, which is renamed Portside Community Church1990The school is also running out of space, so it is reunited with the church on the new Ethelton block; existing buildings are converted and new buildings are constructed to accommodate its 189 students
August
The church complex is officially opened
1992August
The school complex is officially opened
 1993Richard Bunting becomes the Principal of the school
 1995A building project to provide additional classrooms and specialist teaching areas commences
John Poyzer becomes the senior pastor of Portside Community Church2000Year 8 is added
 2001Year 9 is added
 2002Year 10 is added
 2006Dr Johan Griesel becomes the Principal of the school
 2007A building program commences to provide additional classrooms (including classrooms for music, science and art) and IT pods connected to the classrooms
 2008Year 11 is added
 2009Year 12 is added, the Administration block is renovated and the Science Laboratory and Language Centre and the Gymnasium with its associated facilities are built (both funded under the BER)
January
Josh Poyzer becomes the senior pastor and the church is renamed Portlife Church
2010The school is renamed Portside Christian College
 2012A two-storey building housing four Junior School classrooms and an Early Learning Centre is constructed
 2013A Trade Training Centre is built with three classrooms, annexed to the church building
The College has around 100 staff and over 670 students from ELC through to Year 12
 2014The College has around 105 staff and over 700 students from ELC through to Year 12.  
Mr Anton Visser becomes Acting Principal of the College
 2015Mr Daryl Pollard becomes the Principal of the College
 2018Mr Anton Visser becomes Acting Principal of the College
 2018 to presentJuly
Dr Susan Starling becomes Principal.
The College has 735 student from ELC –Year 12

Return to COLLEGE HANDBOOK