The opportunity for our students to develop their God-given gifts in the Performing Arts is an important and exciting part of the College’s culture and curriculum.
Students study music as a core subject from Foundation to Year 8, having opportunities to learn how to play the recorder, ukulele, violin, keyboard, drums/percussion and the guitar. Along with instrumental skills, students will develop all-round theory, aural and analytical skills in music, helping to develop them as musicians.
From Year 9 to Stage 2 (Year 12) music, along with drama and dance, are elective subjects which students can choose to participate in if they have skill or interest.
At SACE Stage 1 and 2 we offer both Music and Creative Arts as subjects, with these options:
- Stage 1 Advanced Music
- Stage 1 Experience Music
- Stage 1 Creative Arts
- Stage 2 Music Solo Performance
- Stage 2 Music Ensemble Performance
- Stage 2 Music Explorations
- Stage 2 Music Studies
- Stage 2 Creative Arts
Portside Christian College also offers a wide range of co-curricular Performing Arts activities, including:
- Concert Bands
- Senior and Junior Choirs
- Percussion Ensemble
- Dance, including private after school lessons
- Drama, including a School Musical
- Instrumental lessons during the school day for flute, clarinet, saxophone, trumpet, trombone, violin, piano, guitar, electric bass, drums/percussion and voice(singing)
- Arts Showcases and Instrumental Concerts
- Opportunities to participate in external competitions (e.g. Generations in Jazz) and perform in the College and wider community