Stage 1 – Year 11
10 per semester
Does this subject include an exam?
Successful completion of Year 10 Science at a minimum C grade achievement level.
The three strands of science to be integrated throughout student learning are:
- science inquiry skills
- science as a human endeavor
- science understanding
Students skills, knowledge, and understanding of these occur in the context of the six topics studied:
- Materials and their atoms
- Combinations of atoms
- Mixtures and solutions
- Acid and bases
- Redox reactions
In this subject students are expected to:
- Apply science inquiry skills to deconstruct a problem and design and conduct chemistry investigations, using appropriate procedures and safe, ethical working practices
- Obtain, record, represent, analyse, and interpret the results of chemistry investigations
- Evaluate procedures and results, and analyse evidence to formulate and justify conclusions
- Develop and apply knowledge and understanding of chemical concepts in new and familiar contexts
- Explore and understand science as a human endeavour
- Communicate knowledge and understanding of chemical concepts, using appropriate terms, conventions and representations.
A full year is necessary preparation for Stage 2 Chemistry. A single or double semester of Stage 1 Chemistry is also a good foundation for Stage 2 Biology. Stage 2 Chemistry is a university prerequisite for some courses including Science, Biotechnology, Dental surgery, Chemical Engineering and Molecular Drug Design