Stage 1 – Year 11
10 per semester
Does this subject include an exam?
Successful completion of Year 10 Science at a minimum C grade achievement level.
The topics covered are:
- Materials and their Atoms
- Combining Atoms
- Mixtures and Solutions
- Acid and Bases
- Redox Reactions
In this subject students are expected to:
- Apply science inquiry skills to deconstruct a problem and design and conduct chemistry investigations, using appropriate procedures and safe, ethical working practices
- Obtain, record, represent, analyse, and interpret the results of chemistry investigations
- Evaluate procedures and results, and analyse evidence to formulate and justify conclusions
- Develop and apply knowledge and understanding of chemical concepts in new and familiar contexts
- Explore and understand science as a human endeavour
- Communicate knowledge and understanding of chemical concepts, using appropriate terms, conventions and representations.
A full year is necessary preparation for Stage 2 Chemistry. A single or double semester of Stage 1 Chemistry is also a good foundation for Stage 2 Biology. Stage 2 Chemistry is a university prerequisite for some courses including Science, Biotechnology, Dental surgery, Chemical Engineering and Molecular Drug Design