Stage 2 – Year 12
10 credits (students must combine this with the 10 credit Stage 2 Music Performance – Solo subject)
Does this subject include an exam?
Students who undertake this subject are assumed to have a moderate level of experience on their chosen instrument or voice. It is expected that students studying a music performance subject should be undertaking private lessons with an instrumental teacher to maintain a suitable technical standard. These can be organised through the College.
Students must combine this with the 10 credit Stage 2 Solo Performance subject
Students develop and extend their practical music-making skills through performing works in an ensemble. They apply their musical understanding, skills, and techniques in refining and performing music. Students analyse their repertoire, and critique strategies to rehearse and develop their performances, and contribute and collaborate as effective members of an ensemble. They apply their knowledge and understanding of the style, structure, and conventions appropriate to the repertoire, in developing and refining their musical performances, their musical imagination, and their own ideas about and appreciation of music.
In this subject, students are expected to:
- attend all rehearsals and performances throughout the year for their ensemble
- demonstrate confidence as an ensemble performer
- present a repertoire of contrasting works or an extended work with a number of contrasting sections for instrument or voice
- demonstrate accuracy, musical skills, and technique as an ensemble performer
- demonstrate musicianship in interpretation by performing musically a range of works to a public audience
- contribute to the cohesiveness of and demonstrate musical rapport within the ensemble to engage the audience
TAFE or University pathways include Music Performance – Jazz, Classical or Contemporary, Composing and Arranging, Sound Technology and Recording, Music Education (Primary/Secondary Teaching, Instrumental Teaching), Music Ministry, and Business – Music Industry.