Stage 2 – Year 12
Does this subject include an exam?
Minimum of B grade in Stage 1 Specialist Mathematics recommended.
Specialist Mathematics is designed to be taken in conjunction with Stage 2 Mathematical Studies.
Specialist Mathematics draws on and deepens students’ mathematical knowledge, skills, and understanding, and provides opportunities for students to develop their skills in using rigorous mathematical arguments and proof and using mathematical models. It includes the study of functions and calculus.
Stage 2 Specialist Mathematics consists of the following six topics:
- Mathematical Induction
- Complex Numbers
- Functions and Sketching Graphs
- Vectors in Three Dimensions
- Integration Techniques and Applications
- Rates of Change and Differential Equations
Students will learn to:
- understand mathematical concepts, demonstrate mathematical skills, and apply mathematical techniques
- investigate and analyse mathematical information in a variety of contexts
- think mathematically by posing questions, solving problems, applying models, and making, testing, and proving conjectures
- interpret results, draw conclusions, and determine the reasonableness of solutions in context
- make discerning use of electronic technology to solve problems and refine and extend mathematical knowledge
- communicate mathematically in a variety of ways
The subject leads to study in a range of tertiary courses such as mathematical sciences, engineering, computer science, and physical sciences. Students envisaging careers in related fields will benefit from studying this subject.