Stage 2 – Year 12
Does this subject include an exam?
Successful completion of Stage 1 Chemistry at C standard is recommended.
The three strands of science to be integrated throughout student learning are:
- science inquiry skills
- science as a human endeavour
- science understanding
Students skills, knowledge, and understanding of these occur in context of the four topics studied:
- Monitoring the Environment
- Managing Chemical Processes
- Organic and Biological Chemistry
- Managing Resources
In this subject, students are expected to:
- apply science inquiry skills to deconstruct a problem and design and conduct chemistry investigations using appropriate procedures and safe, ethical working practices
- obtain, record, represent, analyse, and interpret the results of chemistry investigations
- evaluate procedures and results, and analyse evidence to formulate and justify conclusions
- develop and apply knowledge and understanding of chemical concepts in new and familiar contexts
- explore and understand science as a human endeavour
- communicate knowledge and understanding of chemical concepts, using appropriate terms, conventions, and representations.
Chemistry is a prerequisite or assumed knowledge for many science-based university and TAFE courses, opening up opportunities for careers as diverse as engineering, environmental science, medicine and pharmacy.