Stage 1 – Year 11
10 per semester (20 units for a full year of study)
Does this subject include an exam?
A keen interest in Music is essential. Students should have completed at least two semesters of elective music in Years 9 and/or 10 if they wish to undertake Music Advanced. There are no prerequisites for Music Experience.
Students must nominate at least one chosen instrument to focus on for the development of practical skills throughout the course. Enrolment in private instrumental or vocal lessons for the development of individual technical proficiency is highly recommended to help meet the performance standards.
- Music Experience – designed for students with emerging musical skills and provides opportunities for students to develop their musical understanding and skills in creating and responding to music. The course will involve aspects of solo and ensemble performance, graphic composition, songwriting, and the development of music theoretical and aural skills.
- Music Advanced – designed to extend students’ existing musical understanding and skills in creating and responding to music. The course will involve aspects of solo and ensemble performance, notated composition, song writing, and extended development of music theoretical and aural skills.
Students enrolling for a semester of music (10 units) can study either Music Experience or Music Advanced. Students completing a full year of music study will complete 20 units of either Music Experience or Music Advanced. If students are considering studying music at Year 12, then a full year of Music at Year 11 is highly recommended.
Students can be involved in a selection of learning activities such as:
- Performing (Ensemble and Solo)
- Composing, Arranging, Transcribing, Improvising
- Music Research
- Music Technology
- Theory, Aural, and Musical language development
Students will be required to perform as a soloist and/or in an ensemble in various contexts, for both students and school community audiences.
Music Experience programs provide pathways to Stage 2 Music Performance — Solo and Ensemble or Stage 2 Music Explorations.
Music Advanced programs provide pathways to Stage 2 Music Studies, Stage 2 Music Performance — Solo and Ensemble or Stage 2 Music Explorations.
University options include: Degrees in Music Performance – Jazz, Classical or Contemporary, Composing and Arranging, Sound Technology and Recording, Music Education, Music Ministry, and Business – Music Industry, & Music Therapy.