Stage 1 – Year 11
10 per semester
Does this subject include an exam?
Successful completion of Year 10A Mathematics.
Topics undertaken are:
- Functions and graphs
- Counting and Statistics
- Growth and Decay
- Introduction to Differential Calculus
In this subject, students are expected to:
- understand mathematical concepts and relationships, making use of electronic technology where appropriate to aid and enhance understanding
- identify, collect, and organise mathematical information relevant to investigating and finding solutions to questions/problems taken from social, scientific, economic, or historical contexts
- recognise and apply the mathematical techniques needed when analysing and solving a problem in context
- interpret results, draw conclusions and reflect on the reasonableness of these in the context of a problem
- communicate mathematical reasoning and ideas to a variety of audiences by using appropriate language and representations
- work both independently and cooperatively in planning, organising, and carrying out mathematical activities
Stage 2 General Mathematics and Mathematical Methods
A prerequisite for university courses including Biomedical Science, Biotechnology, Dental Surgery, Engineering, Computer Science, Finance/Mathematical Computer Science, Laser Physics, Geoscience and Mathematical and Computer Sciences.