Stage 1 – Year 11
10 per semester
Does this subject include an exam?
Successful completion of Year 10 Science at a minimum C grade achievement level.
The following topics provide the framework for learning in Stage 1 Biology:
- Cells and Microorganisms
- Infectious Disease
- Multicellular Organisms
- Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics
In this subject, students are expected to:
- In this subject, students are expected to:
- apply science inquiry skills to design and conduct biological investigations, using appropriate procedures and safe, ethical working practices
- obtain, record, represent, analyse, and interpret the results of biological investigations
- evaluate procedures and results, and analyse evidence to formulate and justify conclusions
- develop and apply knowledge and understanding of biological concepts in new and familiar contexts
- explore and understand science as a human endeavour
- communicate knowledge and understanding of biological concepts, using appropriate terms, conventions, and representations.
At least one semester (preference Semester 1) of Stage 1 Biology is recommended for Stage 2 Biology. A prerequisite for students entering university Health Science and Science courses.