Stage 2 – Year 12
Does this subject include an exam?
Minimum of C grade in Stage 1 Mathematical Methods or General Mathematics recommended.
Mathematics is much more than a collection of concepts and skills; it is a way of approaching new challenges by investigating, modelling, reasoning, visualising and problem-solving, with the goal of communicating to others the relationships observed and problems solved.
Students study the five topics listed below
- Modelling with Linear Relationships
- Modelling with Matrices
- Statistical Models
- Financial Models
- Discrete Models
In this subject, students are expected to:
- demonstrate an understanding of mathematical concepts and relationships, making use of electronic technology to aid and enhance understanding
- identify, collect, and organise mathematical information relevant to investigating and solving problems
- recognise and apply the mathematical techniques needed when analysing and solving a problem in context
- interpret results, draw conclusions and reflect on the reasonableness of the conclusions in context
- communicate mathematical reasoning and ideas to a variety of audiences, using appropriate language and representations
- work both independently and cooperatively in planning, organising and carrying out mathematical activities
Prepares students for entry to tertiary courses requiring a non-specialised background in mathematics, employment or Studies in the Business area, Finance or self-Employment.