Stage 2 – Year 12
Does this subject include an exam?
Successful completion of at least one semester of Stage 1 Biology at C standard is recommended.
The three strands of science to be integrated throughout student learning are:
● science inquiry skills
● science as a human endeavour
● science understanding
Students skills, knowledge, and understanding of these occur in context of the four topics studied:
- DNA and Proteins
- Cells as the Basis of Life
Students will learn to:
- apply science inquiry skills to design and conduct biological investigations, using appropriate procedures and safe, ethical working practices
- obtain, record, represent, analyse, and interpret the results of biological investigations
- evaluate procedures and results, and analyse evidence to formulate and justify conclusions
- develop and apply knowledge and understanding of biological concepts in new and familiar contexts
- explore and understand science as a human endeavour
- communicate knowledge and understanding of biological concepts and information, using appropriate terms, conventions, and representations.
Stage 2 Biology can be a prerequisite of university courses including Health Sciences and various Science degrees.